I have made so many birthday dresses, more then I can count. My girls love wearing the dresses so to make more I have been changing them just a little bit just to mix it up.
This summer I made two dresses with more variations.
For Mackenzie's Dress I omitted the sleeves, added a gathered ruffle around the pleat, only used one piece for the skirt instead of two and shortened it by 3 inches.
For Braelyn's Dress I removed the pleat completely by making the front piece like the lining. I also added piping aroung the neck, arms and back line, I omitted the sleeves and only used one piece for the skirt. I also shortened it by 3 inches. For the bow I cut one long piece on the fold to the selvage. I used 55" seersucker so it was very long. I placed it on the bodice with the seam of the skirt about half way up. I then sewing down the side seams to tack it down.
This is Elise she made this dress in Kids Camp, I've always thought that for the older girls the dress looks best without the angel sleeves. She also only used one piece for the skirt instead of two for a less gathered look. She also added an invisible zipper. To add an invisible zipper just cut 1" off both back pieces and the lining then add the zipper!
Here are a few of the other variations I have made.
You may remember I made the Cinderella and Snow White versions of the Birthday Dress for our one day Disney World trip last year. Creating those were really just fabric and color choices and with a few added elements.
This is Mackenzie's Care Bear Dress made with a vintage pillowcase.
Please share your Birthday Dress Variations on my facebook group or page to win a free Together Tank pdf pattern!