Seashore Sundress by Oliver + S pattern review

Monday, September 16, 2013


I could not be happier with this pattern, the Seashore Sundress by Oliver + S. I bought it about a year and a half ago because I just loved the look, but I never could decide on the fabric. I usually have the opposite problem: love the fabric but can’t find the pattern.
But, this pattern has always been in the back of my head. When Matt asked me to do game day dresses for Clemson's first football game, it hit me. Jennifer Paganelli's fabric would be perfect. Although it is considered a zebra print, when cut the right way it is perfect for tigers. 


Front



Back


I will be making this dress again and again because it looks so great on my two girls. For some reason, we have never sold a lot of Oliver + S patterns. I love their blog and their book has amazing reviews. I just think it took someone actually making one of their designs. 



The information in the pattern directions is amazing. In the glossary section, they even had the term lockstitch which is something I do with elastic thread but did not know it had a name. I learned a few new fun tips with this pattern. Like I said before, I love the Oliver +S blog  I’m glad I’m learning even more doing the patterns. 
The pockets are to die for and were very easy to install. They have you gather the pocket with two gathering stitches, one below the stitch line. I thought this was odd, at first, but it made attaching the gather so much easier, and taking it out was a breeze because it was so low. I will be using that technique in the future. 
The directions are very easy to follow; a new sewer would not have a problem following them. To tack down the facing, I used the stitch in the ditch method and it turned out great! I’m glad they gave me an option besides hand sewing. 
They also have you baste the hem line, and this made ironing the hem a breeze. I feel like I have done this method before but this was a great reminder of how much it helps! The pattern also has you cut some of your side seam allowance out; this step really helped with the bulk. 
 
Cut seam for hemming. 

The bloomers were a little bit more work than most bloomer patterns, but I really liked the finished look. The back panel is one piece which makes it perfect for embroidery, so, of course, I embroidered!



I hope you love this pattern as much as I did!  I made 18-24 month for Braelyn and it fit perfectly. For Mackenzie I made a 6-12 month and it is a little hard to get on and off but as your can see she's a little chunky monkey :)  The pockets are perfect for storing little treasures or for Braelyn a goldfish. 



My 21 month old, Braelyn is going through a "I want nothing to do with my sister" phase. So getting pictures together were not easy. My 6 month old, Mackenzie is obsessed with Braelyn especially now that she can army crawl and get all of Braelyn's things. 










3 comments:

  1. Broooke your childrens outfits are always so cute and unique. I am suprised you did,nt enter the children's clothing contest @patternreview.com.! Your beautiful talent needs to be revealed to others. You would have certainly gotten my vote! Happy sewing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much! I wish I had time to do contests, it would be really fun!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you so much! I wish I had time to do contests, it would be really fun!

    ReplyDelete

 
Design by Studio Mommy (© Copyright 2015)